Removing Clutter From Photos

November 21, 2012

in Keli Hoskins, Photography Tips, Photography Tutorials

Ideas for Removing Clutter from Your Photos via iHeartFaces.com

This is an article that was basically made for me, since I tend to take pictures in my house with three kids. Even now, while we are trying to sell our house, there is never a lack of clutter around here.

So here are my 4 tips on removing clutter from photos:

1. Physically remove it.

Ideas for Removing Clutter from Your Photos via iHeartFaces.com

Ideas for Removing Clutter from Your Photos via iHeartFaces.com

Sometimes, it is just easier to pull a trash can and a few chairs out of the way or throw toys into a basket and slide it out of the frame.

2. Get close

Get close to your subject and open your aperture as much as possible to “blur” the clutter out.

Ideas for Removing Clutter from Your Photos via iHeartFaces.com

Never underestimate the power of close-up shots with an aperture setting of between 1.8 and 4.0.

Ideas for Removing Clutter from Your Photos via iHeartFaces.com

3. Remove it in post-processing.

I was taking some pictures of Henry on our bed the other day, but our ugly brass bathroom doorknobs made it into the background.

Ideas for Removing Clutter from Your Photos via iHeartFaces.com

So I just cloned them out in Photoshop … there are many tutorials for this already posted here on IHF.

Ideas for Removing Clutter from Your Photos via iHeartFaces.com

4. Embrace it.

Ideas for Removing Clutter from Your Photos via iHeartFaces.com

Sometimes, it’s just not possible to remove the clutter, so embrace this as part of “lifestyle photography” and go with it.

Ideas for Removing Clutter from Your Photos via iHeartFaces.com

——

Keli Hoskins is a busy mom of 3 kids, 5 and under. She spends her days changing diapers and cleaning the house and playing Candy Land and making sure her kindergartener gets to school on time and doing laundry and snuggling babies and making supper and occasionally taking pictures. And that’s just the stuff she does for fun! You can follow her life and photos at Kidnapped by Suburbia.

Spain business database list purchase email lists business for Spain purchase email lists business for Spain Spain business database list business email lists for sale Spain business database business email lists for sale purchase email lists business for May 17, 2015

Can ʏou tеll սѕ mогe about this? I’d
love to fіnd out ѕome additional іnformation.

Mary November 29, 2012

These are great tips but not seeing a tutorial on cloning out anywhere. Links just take me back to the same page.

Alicia Johnson @ Tampa wedding photographer November 26, 2012

Great tips! Sometimes I like to capture the ‘real life’ bc it contributes to the emotion I feel when I look at the picture. Other times I just want the focus on a face or task and the clutter takes away from the photo. Always depends. Helps me to think it through as I read this. Thanks!

Penelope Guzman November 22, 2012

Removing Clutter from Photos {Photography Tutorial} http://t.co/bLFGdcA4

Penelope Guzman November 22, 2012

Removing Clutter from Photos {Photography Tutorial} http://t.co/bLFGdcA4

Declan Mc Glone November 22, 2012

Removing Clutter from Photos {Photography Tutorial} #photography http://t.co/mvzp4Gln

Professional Pictures November 21, 2012

Adorable pictures!

Taking pictures of people can be both exciting and challenging. They are actually among the best subjects of photographers. People have the ability to show different expressions. Images of people are vibrant attractions in different scenes whether main point of interest or balancing element.

Mia November 21, 2012

Very practical tips! I particularly like the embrace it one:).

Angie November 21, 2012

Great tips for simplifying your images! —>RT @iheartfaces: Removing Clutter from Photos {Photography Tutorial} http://t.co/zhiYNr2e

Jess November 21, 2012

Since you’ve seen my house, you know this post was made for me :) Ha ha!! Great job, Keli!

RosesDaughter November 21, 2012

Removing Clutter from Photos {Photography Tutorial} http://t.co/DGu2oSR2

Anita Crane November 21, 2012

Great article!
Sometimes I make a duplicate in Elements, Gaussian blur, make a mask, go back to copy and Command (Mac) G, back to mask and using soft brush blur out the items in background. I can control the amount with the amount of hardness. It looks like you’ve used a prime lens with good brokeh.

Or, like the last picture you did, I just make in high contrast black and white, and it looks very nice, you see all the details and shapes.