The 365 Photo Project

December 31, 2011

in Photography Inspiration, Photography Tips, Photography Tutorials

I Heart Faces 365 Project Tutorial

A 365 Photo Project is a great way to get to know your camera and discipline yourself into practicing your photography every day.  Whether you prefer to blog your photos or just post them to your Facebook page or Flickr account, read on to be inspired by one of our I Heart Faces participants who decided to challenge herself to take at least one photo every day.

The 365 Photo Project

I’m a mom of 3 little ones: too busy to be able to catch a breath some days, working full-time in my photography business, taking care of the house and doing a million things at a time. I had to force myself to take pictures of my own kids. 2009 was such a busy year for me, and by the end of the year I realized that while I had taken pictures of the “important” days in my kids life, I had missed all the little things that I want to remember forever. There I was, documenting other people’s lives, but my own life was just passing by. It made me sad and a bit angry with myself that I had missed so many little things and that my kids were growing so fast.
I Heart Faces 365 Project Tutorial
I had seen so many people doing 365 projects and I felt jealous because I wasn’t. I was afraid of committing to something like that with so many things on my plate already. Could I do it? Was I able to snap a picture a day? As we were driving back from our trip to Texas on January 1st 2010, I looked back to my kids all doing their own thing in the van I grabbed my camera and snapped a picture. I knew then that this was the first photo of my own 365 project. I felt so excited and scared at the same time. I also felt relieved! Yes! My kiddos’ lives where going to be documented.
I Heart Faces 365 Project Tutorial
It was a little bit overwhelming at the beginning but it got easier as the weeks passed by. My goal is not to get a perfect picture: my goal is to save memories.

Some tips that have worked for me:

• Take a picture early in the morning. Sleepy faces, messy hair, breakfast time, their outfit for the day, etc. Then if the day gets too busy, I’ve already taken the picture of the day.
    I Heart Faces 365 Project Tutorial
    I Heart Faces-365 Project Tutorial
  • Have a camera with you at all times. It doesn’t have to be your big fancy camera,iPhone shots count too!
  • Save your pictures in monthly folders. It’s a lot easier to organize and to put a book at the end of the year!
  • Invest in a remote for your camera, you need to be in those pictures too!
    I Heart Faces 365 Project Tutorial

To me it helps to post the pictures in my personal blog or Facebook page so that I can also write a little bit about our day. I try to do this daily. It takes me around 5 minutes to do it and it keeps me up to date and motivated to keep going. I feel a lot more “free” to photograph whatever I want. And an awesome plus of doing this is that my photography has evolved and grown along the way.
I Heart Faces 365 Project
365 Photo Project - I Heart Faces

The count down of my second year doing a 365 project has begun, and it makes my heart so happy! Last year I put a book together with all the pictures and the kids love to look at it. I go through the pictures and it always puts a smile on my face. I can only imagine what my kids will feel when they are grown ups and see the pictures or, even better, when they share them with their own kids. That for sure keeps me going!
I Heart Faces 365 Project Tutorial
So now it’s your turn. Challenge your self to start your own 365 Project, and have fun during the process!

I Heart Faces 365 Project Tutorial

Grethel Van Epps Featured on I Heart FacesGrethel Van Epps is a lifestyle photographer based in the Birmingham, AL area, mom to 3 kids and one on the way.  View her blog for even more photography inspiration.

Tracy June 11, 2012

Dang, I need to get back on my 365 day project.
I took some amazing shots this past winter.

Grethel February 2, 2012

I do this for my kids.. yes, of course there are days where I don’t feel like grabbing the camera but they are my motor and source of inspiration.

Kristin February 2, 2012

I’m doing one for the first time. I can’t believe how much I’m learning about my camera!
Threesixfivein2012.blogspot.com

Shutterbug Sage January 20, 2012

What a great post! I have added a link to it from my site here: http://ayearofpics.wordpress.com/2012/01/20/january-photo-ideas-one-a-day-until-the-end-of-the-month/ with the hope it helps share your tips with others!

Desiree January 19, 2012

I was really hesitant to start a 365 project…it scared me! I am a procrastinator, and I tend to start things and have them go unfinished. A few days in to this year I decided to go for it. Since I didn’t officially start on the first, I ended up missing one day so far. I am SO glad I did this. If you are scared, JUST DO IT!! You don’t have to have a theme, and you don’t even have to make a long description for each photo! I find myself remembering at 11:45pm some days that I still need to take my photo for the day. Some days I use my cell phone instead of my SLR, but I am using my SLR so much more since I started this. I’m trying new things and looking at normal little objects around the house in a new light. I am so excited to look back at the end of the year and see my progress.

jmeyersforeman January 10, 2012

I have tried to do a photo everyday – a blog post, and I like the idea, especially when I am travelling, but i do find that sometimes I take pictures for the sake of taking pictures – even I am not that inspired……
if that is the case how can the photo possibily be inspiring to anyone else? so the big questions is with as busy as our lives are – how do we stay inspired, and not have this turn into another chore on the list of things to do?

Zinedine January 6, 2012

Definitely a thing to do in 2012 ! And hey if we still alive – in 2013 as well 😛

Melanie stofka January 3, 2012

Wow! Gorgeous pics! You have definitely inspired me! I started my first 365 this year, cross your fingers that I make it through the whole year! Your tips will help a lot!

Joey January 2, 2012

I have done Project 52 the past two years and this year I started a Project 365. I started it December 26th – and my goal is to keep at this. I only see my nieces and nephews once in awhile, it was more when they weren’t so busy with school activities. I along with a few other ladies I met through Shutterfly are doing these projects.
I think it does force us to pick up our cameras and be creative in our daily life. It has given me the chance to get to ‘know’ my camera better. http://www.joeyssite.shutterfly.com under the 2012 page.
Your article is so inspiring. Thank you for sharing this.

Megan January 2, 2012

Okay, I’m doing it. They might be mostly iphone photos, it might be a blog no one EVER visits, but if nothing else, I’ll remember those little moments throughout the year!

Patrizia Corriero January 2, 2012

A 365 Project is a great way to get to know your camera and discipline yourself into take #photos every day. http://t.co/Q1OkA7U8

Julie January 1, 2012

I started doing this last year through a website called Shuttercal (www.shuttercal.com). They also have an iPhone app so you can load your daily photo directly from your phone. It’s a great way to visually see all of your photos and the printed shoebox format is a great keepsake.

Kat January 1, 2012

Just love that you challenged yourself to do this – I’m too chicken! Maybe next year?

Janmary, N Ireland January 1, 2012

I’m trying again – using either my DSLR and iphone – whichever suits me that day, so hopefully with more flexibility I’ll make it this year :)

Kris S January 1, 2012

Love this idea I hope to find the time in 2012 in 2011 I only did one a week!

Elizabeth January 1, 2012

I so loved reading this post last night as I right before reading it I had just finished making my 365 project blog! I am definitely going to attempt to do this this year. It is part of my New Years Resolution #1 – be more organized! =) Happy New Year IHF!

thursdayschild January 1, 2012

There’s a group to do this on fb. It’s called “The 365 Project” by Picaboo. Check it out and join if you want :)

Leigh January 1, 2012

Bring it on!!! Photography Inspiration – 365 Project | I Heart Faces http://t.co/2jujsDLW

louise January 1, 2012

Love your work! I’ve been watching your work on FB through my friend’s family, the Harbison’s and her daughter . The photos have been beautiful! I tried this project once, but didn’t quite make it too long. but maybe if I have a subject….

AK Stout December 31, 2011

I think I might try this! —>Photography Inspiration – 365 Project | I Heart Faces http://t.co/IT39XTQr

Just Another Autism Mom December 31, 2011

I must do this in 2012!

Mindy December 31, 2011

The second to last photo… needs to be framed. Please say you’ve printed and framed it! Thanks for the inspiration!

Anne Quezada December 31, 2011

This is a good way to start 2010. Will definitely do it.

Heather December 31, 2011

I definitely need to do this!! Thanks for the motivation!

Marisa December 31, 2011

Great tips! I’m talking myself into doing one for 2012. Except 2012 is a leap year, so it will be a 366! :)

Baby Making Mama December 31, 2011

How fun! I did a 365 project too but mine was a little different. I slacked on updating my blog with the photos but I’m posting the rest of them in waves today.

Here’s the link: http://babymakingmachine.blogspot.com/search/label/love%20letters

Thanks for the tips! :)