It’s Worthy of a Click | Photographing Real Family Moments

July 14, 2011

in Photography Tips, Photography Tutorials

I Heart Faces- Photographing Real Family Moments

Written by Irina Hubbard

“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away.”

I must disagree with this statement. In the photography world it’s not uncommon for us photographers to drag our kids out to get THE shot. We get inspired by beautiful, breathtaking images online everyday and we naturally want to replicate those. There is nothing more important to a new portfolio building photographer than to perfect their skills.

But what about our everyday surroundings? What about our everyday family scene? What about those lazy, “boring” days where there is not much going on but the cute little faces of our kids? As a photographer, I have neglected to document my everyday life in pursuit of THE shot. I hate to admit it, but I have.

I started my professional photography business less than a year ago. Photography has always been my passion and I had even studied it in high school and college. But I must admit, that I forgot about the snapshots! Yes, the snapshots. If it wasn’t the perfect picture, I thought it just wasn’t worthy of a click.

(These images were NOT edited on purpose to make a point.)

Capture her little smile, because you’ll never get it back…

I Heart Faces - Photographing Real Family Moments

Or the “I don’t hear you, because I’m watching TV” look…

I Heart Faces - Photographing Real Family Moments

Or the years she sucked on her thumb…explaining why you need to spend hundreds of dollars on braces…..

I Heart Faces - Photographing Real Family Moments

Snap away. Because the days are long, but the years are short.

Irina Hubbard Featured on I Heart FacesIrina Hubbard, owner of Photography by Irina, is a portrait photographer in Northern Virginia, a wife and mother of two. Check out her Facebook fan page and website for more of her beautiful work.

You might also like:

Jamie July 18, 2011

I can echo this feeling 100%. I am re-launching my business in August (we just moved) and will begin to offer “A day in the life” sessions. I am so excited about this and hope other people see the beauty in everyday life and allow me to help them capture memories. Some of my ideas about it are on my website…http://www.jtphoto.org/2011/07/a-day-in-the-life/

Jocelyn July 17, 2011

Thank you for this post!! Photography is really only a hobby for me. I took a community college class to improve my skills so that the snapshots I take could be a bit higher quality. I have followed IHF for a while and even joined in on a few of the challenges. I am amazed by all the talent shared here. But I often look at the polished, posed, professional looking photos and feel like my snapshots are rather inadequate to share their company. It’s easy to lose sight of the value those snapshots can have. Thank you for the encouragement and the reminder of how much I will treasure those photos.

noreen July 15, 2011

I could not agree more with this post. Half of my hard drive is filled with photos of my daugther since she was born up until now (she’s almost two). Some may say that I went overboard and insane with all these but the reason is because I want to capture those precious moments and unguarded moments and freeze them in time and so when she grows up, I and her have something to look back and reminisce.

There are times that I feel nostalgic of how fast she grows up but opening up those photos and looking through them simply puts the smile back on my face. :)

Julie Thomas July 14, 2011

I totally agree! While portfolio shots are great, it’s the family snapshots you’ll want to be looking at in 20 years time when the kids are all grown up!

Just this week my girls were playing in the lounge while dinner was cooking… they were half dressed, hair all over the place and the lighting was horrible but I still took the opportunity to capture the fun moments they were having. Those photos are now some of my most favourite, treasured photos of my girls (you can see them here: http://www.juliethomasphotographicart.com.au/blog/2011/7/8/at-home-with-my-girls-puckapunyal-photographer.html )

erika July 14, 2011

i get what you’re saying- but where i’ve heard that quote used most in my experience is with people who have lost a child at birth or infancy…so it is more about how life is not about how long it is but the experiences a person has in their (sometimes very short) lives…

i get what you’re saying- and i agree- i just don’t think that’s quite the right quote to use.

janmary, N Ireland July 14, 2011

So true ….thanks for the reminder.

Life with Kaishon July 14, 2011

I think even ordinary moments should take our breath away : )
Beautiful pictures.
Soft and lovely and real!

Veronica July 14, 2011

I totally know what you mean. I am so hard on myself sometimes with how the snapshots look. I have to admit, though, that sometimes I get a photo I love when I am just taking a shot to capture the moment.

Love your pics. They are lovely glimpses into your family.

Misty July 14, 2011

That is why I keep a personal family blog and a separate photography blog. I don’t feel the pressure of snapping the perfect photo for my family blog. It’s filled with snapshots and every day life and I love it!

Adam Stevens July 14, 2011

Couldn’t agree more. Some of my favs are of my kids, sick, happy, and in between… Life gets so daily, if you don’t stop and look at it once in a while it will slip right by.

Irina July 14, 2011

Thank you all so much for the comments! You really made my day!! xoxo

Jenny July 14, 2011

Yay – A Northern VA photog that I can recommend to my friends with kids here! Irina – your photos are beautiful – just visited your site.

Susan July 14, 2011

Irina,

This was so beautiful and so true. I really needed this reminder today. I’m just starting out, and learning how to use my camera.

The timing could have not been better.

Your children are just gorgeous, like mom!!

Thanks…

Jill Samter Photography July 14, 2011

Would love to catch up with her in person – we live within minutes from one another! Could you pass her my email? Love her work! Thanks!

Cinda Jane July 14, 2011

A great site/blog that captures a daily photo of her daughter. I love following it and cant wait to replicate when I have babies! http://www.lilawashere.com

Carmen Smith July 14, 2011

I’m in the process of building a strong portfolio myself. Just last night I was looking for pictures of my family to add to a photobook that’s being made for a special person in our family. Greatgrandma’s birthday gift and I was sad to realize that there are very few “snapshots” of my boys, my husband with the boys, me and the boys and even less of me and my hubby. I really need to make sure that changes because capturing everyday life is aslo very important not only for me but for my boys.

Tara July 14, 2011

So true! Love it!

Mary Solberg July 14, 2011

Wonderful point! I, too, can get caught up in trying to capture the perfect photo, but they are just a moment in time…It’s the everyday events that so often get overlooked. Great reminder!

Becky July 14, 2011

I was just thinking about this the other day. My family is always hasseling me about taking so many pictures, but Emma will only be 2 once. She is ever changing and we will all want to remember her chubby baby cheeks later on!