Week 35 • Photojournalism Photo Challenge

August 30, 2010

in Photo Challenge

Post image for Week 35 • Photojournalism Photo Challenge

Welcome to this week’s photo challenge where all skill levels of photographers are able to join in the fun!

Enter your photo on Mon. or Tues. (challenge closes Tuesdays at 9:00 pm CST) You are allowed to have ONE photo in your entry. Please make sure that you add our button to your blog post so that you’ll be eligible to win!

• Read more details about this week’s theme here.
  • If you are newer to our site, please read our FAQ’s.
  • If your entry has been deleted, it is because you entered your link incorrectly. Please reenter it correctly using a permalink to your post.

Photo Credit: Bobby Earle (this week’s Guest Photographer Judge!)

Please Read Carefully!

Since this week’s theme is different than most, we want to make sure you read the guidelines before you enter.

Our definition of Photojournalism for the sake of this challenge:  Using an image (or images) to tell a story.

For this week’s challenge we’d like you to choose a photo that is photojournalistic in style.  Or (for this week only) you can enter a collage of photos instead.  Please make sure that a human face is showing up somewhere in your photo entry and that you use only a maximum of 5 photos in your collage.

**You can either enter ONE photo or ONE collage that has a maximum of 5 photos in it.  Please do not enter 5 individual photos or you will not be considered as a winner for this week’s challenge.

“Photojournalism” Photo Entries:

If you enter our photo challenge this week, be sure to leave comments for at least five entries around yours. Our participants love this! :) Please also read the copyright and guideline info in our sidebar before entering.

What photos did you use to interpret this theme…tell us about your photo entry in the comments section below!

Finding the Joy Workshop Winners

Willette Design’s three week online e-journey will help you explore how to capture your own life in photos and how to escape from always being behind the camera. Congrats to the winners! Class starts Sept. 7th. Contact prizes@iheartfaces.com to get the details.

Lynda •     Lisa •     Janine

Don’t miss a thing!

Get the latest news and photo challenge reminders delivered to you…

Enter your email address:

Shaina September 1, 2010

Hmm, well.. perhaps mine was a little bit more obvious than most people’s… there isn’t really anything to explain. Just laying on my bed with tissues strewn all over and “blowing” my nose. :) I got the idea because my sister has been sick. :)

Evy September 1, 2010

The last 6 months we have spent a lot of time to and from the doctors with my daughters. My eldest tested positive for coeliac disease. I had a little photo shoot with my daughter at a local wheat field the day before her starting school and also before going into hospital for a biopsy to confirm coeliac. So to me these photos have a connotation – one that she do not understand but it tells the story of a girls relationship with wheat. I hope you like the images and hopefully you can see the connotation and the story I was looking to achieve with it.

Lois September 1, 2010

I’m lovin’ all the photo entries! A lot of good captures out there. Thanks everyone for your pictures. They moved me & inspired me. Thanks, iheartfaces, for this challenge.

candacesoon September 1, 2010

whew…I almost missed the deadline on this one! My story in my photo collage is about the intense focus and determination my three year old has. Not so good when it come to him trying to get his way!

A.Marr September 1, 2010

My daughter and her best friend were my inspiration for this weeks challenge. And considering I have quite a few photos of the girls, choosing was the hardest.

Melissa Abbey September 1, 2010

I hope I entered correctly!
These kids are from two totally different ends of the financial spectrum. One group plays in a travel baseball club on well-manicured fields with expensive baseball equipment and attire. The other group is from a youth center for low-income children. It was just a day to show the kids who don’t have the advantages of playing any form of organized sport, about some basic fundamentals of the baseball.
Turns out, it was more than that. The kids from the travel baseball club gained a greater understanding about people: no matter the income level, where they live or what their parents do, these kids are just normal kids who want to have fun no different than them. By the end of the short morning, everyone walked away happy and a little wiser about the world we live in today.

Juanita September 1, 2010

Wonderful challenge! I really enjoyed reading through Bobby Earle’s tips.
I love the emotions I can read in the little girls eyes that I entered.
(On another note, I see that I entered my link twice. I am so sorry! It was my first time using my new website and I was struggling to connect to the linky. Again, so sorry!)

Hayley August 31, 2010

Sometimes, the story is simple–a day-to-day event captured. But in the moment, the feelings…the emotions…well, to a three-year-old, they are everything! It wasn’t his first haircut…and it wouldn’t be his last. But, he certainly had an opinion of how it was going…

Thanks for a fun topic, I Heart Faces.

Courtney August 31, 2010

I love iheartfaces. You guys keep my on my toes <3 Thanks for inspiring us to capture the art in front of our eyes!

Jason Davis August 31, 2010

I’m sorry I double-entered, but I’m having domain issues with the design of my new website. In the meantime, I have provided the same post and picture but with the new link.

As for the interpretation of my image, there is a lengthy response with my post. The summary, however, is that I had an assignment for my photo class and decided to follow a local street preacher. I knew in advance that my subject’s sign was very offensive to a lot of people different than he. After all, most people do not like being told that they are living in sin and going to hell. I think the result speaks for itself:

Jenny Brawley August 31, 2010

I love this topic. My photo is of my grandfather and his boat, a commercial fishing trawler. He will be 84 Nov. 1, and still works this boat daily. The salt water is in his blood and I am grateful that it is in mine as well.

Andrea Shef August 31, 2010

I love this topic! Fun!

Elaine August 31, 2010

I missed the deadline last week… So I am back this week.

My photo shares the love of a brother and sister. My kids are just so precious with each other, I know it might not last forever, but I love every minute of it right now.

Glad to be back…

JeneilS August 31, 2010

Love this challenge. Mine was taken at Musée du Louvre in Paris during the chaos o tourists going through the museum. I had to use a long exposure to capture the moment and madness and the cameras around the Mona Lisa.

Michele Quattrin August 31, 2010

I’m new this and forgot to link the website. Sorry for the duplicate comments.

Michele Quattrin August 31, 2010

Last week I had to attend the funeral of my cousin. The accident and his death was all over the news in my hometown. What coincidence that photojournalism would be the theme this week.

Masen August 31, 2010

We took this picture actually as we were leaving another photo shoot.. I couldn’t imagine he could be comfortable. His socks showing though are classic.. It really makes me wonder how or what happened to put this man so down on his luck to sleep in the water spillway at the train station… Hmmm

The title entry is Gray Hawk.

Jennifer Leigh August 31, 2010

I like the entry titled Joe. What a character and a story! Don’t evict the phantom of the Fox! What ever happened – did Joe win?

Jennifer Leigh August 31, 2010

I was a rebel this week – I posted an image without a face in it. But I just couldn’t pass up sharing this image. It is mysterious, haunting… and I can’t help but keep going back to look at it. It says so many things to me. What does it say to you?

LHill August 31, 2010

Something special about the bond between grandparents and grandkids. So grateful for the special times that our kids get to share with theirs!

Adena August 31, 2010

I love this theme!! Definitely outside of my comfort zone, since mine is of a stranger. But I like this “look” for portraits of people I know too!

Chrissy August 31, 2010

It was hard to choose a picture for this theme, which I loved! I’m always up for a challenge!

What is better than homemade butter? That’s why I picked this picture. Can’t you just imagine it on a hot homemade roll?

Robin ~ PENSIEVE August 30, 2010

I cannot believe this is my FIRST EVER entry for I Heart Faces…! I’ve wanted to many times before, but never followed through until now. NOW, I had to; the theme was impossible for me to forget…because the photo I submitted has been impossible for me to forget!

Thanks for how you encourage budding photographers like me…I can’t wait to see who’s near my link to visit!

Jason Davis August 30, 2010

Hi. I’m new. My wife is a lurking follower of Living Locurto and she shared with me the challenge this week and urged me to contribute. I must say that this is a really cool idea and I look forward to participating in the future!

Although I use digital also, I hope my preference for black and white film is alright?

Alexandra August 30, 2010

Really liked this challenge… had a lot to choose from, some happy, some interesting, but the theme i chose is really personal to me and I really enjoyed editing them… even though it was before my slr days :)

deb August 30, 2010

I entered a collage of pictures I took at the 1st football game of the season. The Rangerettes are a “World Famous” group of dancers that perform for Kilgore Junior College but dance at other functions as well. This group was the first dance line originated by Gussie Nell Davis 70 years ago. They danced at the Cotton Bowl Game last year and this year will perform in the McDonalds Parade during Thanksgiving in Chicago. They are a great group of girls and this pic tells a little bit about the traditions of the Kilgore Rangerettes!

suzie August 30, 2010

I entered a collage of shots from a Pink Gloves photoshoot I did this past spring during a workshop put on by two amazing local photographers. It was totally out of my comfort zone, but I learned SO much and had a great time. {sorry about the multiple entries — I realized I didn’t link to the right spot the first two times! ooops!}

debbie August 30, 2010

i should just add that not only am i a mommy and a photographer, I am also a historian (history teacher as well) photojournalism is an amazing tool.
“The visual life is an enormous undertaking, practically unattainable… I have only touched it with this wonderful democratic instrument, the camera…” dorothea lange

Michele August 30, 2010

This is my first time submitting something and I felt this weeks theme was fitting for me because I attended the funeral of my cousin. The accident and his death had been in the paper and news for a week before the service. I just hope I actually submitted everything the correct way.

Hannah August 30, 2010

The entries are so great this week! Love this theme! :-)

Sharon Manning August 30, 2010

My entry for this weeks challenge were taken recently in Brisbane when we were on holidays and happened to pass by a ceremony for rememberance of the Vietnam War Veterans. It made me stop remember about someone close to me that was in National Service at the time and the mates of his that never came home.

Kelly Langner Sauer August 30, 2010

The shot I linked up today is one of my all-time favorite shots, ever. It was a grab from a wedding I shot as the couple ran past me on their way to their car. It encompasses so much of my style and the life I try to capture with every single image I create – I was so excited to share it here with you all this week! Like, I’ve seriously been jumping up and down…

Helen August 30, 2010

I decided to go with a collage that I’m betting a lot of people who have tried to photograph three year olds can relate to. My son kept giving me weird faces and they ended up being pretty funny to look at!

LisaBE August 30, 2010

I know I will enjoy reading through people’s posts for this challenge. Some street dancers were ‘flirting’ with my 3 year old when I captured the shot for my entry.

jen August 30, 2010

my photo was shot the night before we took our oldest daughter to college. i think it reflects the feeling of looking ahead to a new step in her life as an adult

Amy August 30, 2010

I picked a picture that was candid and to me captured the excitement of little girls at their first concert. I opted for only one picture, and I’m questioning that now 😉

Jennifer August 30, 2010

LOVE this them. I think it will suit so many of us :-)

Alltop Photography August 30, 2010

Week 35 • Photojournalism Photo Challenge http://bit.ly/cVOUHO Photography.alltop

Coley August 30, 2010

Loved this one!

Linkie Lueville August 30, 2010

LOVE this weeks challenge. So fitting for what i just did today!

Kim August 30, 2010

I seriously puffy heart Iheartfaces. I don’t participate as much as I want too, but it is such a great site.. I love everyone’s entries because of how we all interpret the challenge.. Good luck everyone!! :)

Orlando Photography August 30, 2010

Week 35 • Photojournalism Photo Challenge http://bit.ly/aoWl4X

drummerjoe August 30, 2010

This is my first entry ever on this website, I hope I’m doing it right!

Dana-from chaos to Grace August 30, 2010

Not my normal happy entry, but one that means a lot to me!

Jenny August 30, 2010

I have so much fun with these challenges! AND I just found out that I was a favorite a few weeks ago!